Do you ever just have an idea about leather clothing or home accessory in mind but can’t seem to find it anywhere in the market? The struggle is real and we feel you. That is why we’re suggesting you wake your creative side up and take things into your own hands. Printing on leather can sound a bit tricky and complex but it’s actually very interesting. And if you use the right techniques and tools, the results might surprise you, in a good way. Sometimes, after using a certain leather accessory, we get bored and look for a new one. However, for luxury leather items i.e. jackets, bags, or furniture, it could be really expensive. Hence, giving the old ones a new twist is a better and economical option. You can turn your mediocre outfit or a couch into something of an extraordinary accessory with minimum effort. And it only takes a little bit of practice with the tools before you actually become an expert on the matter of leather painting. We’re here to help you through each step and ensure some creative and trendy outcomes.
How to Print On Leather Jacket
A leather jacket is the kind of clothing item that is used frequently. After a while of regular use, you may get bored of the same look and crave something unique and different. You don't necessarily need to buy a new jacket for satisfying your temptations because there is a way that is so much more cost-effective and efficient. Painting a leather jacket requires a lot of attention to detail and the right kind of tools. Follow the guidelines and we’re sure that you’ll be super satisfied with the outcome.
- One of the easiest ways to print on leather is to use laser-printed design patches. You can either make the patterns on these patches by yourself or pick some from the market.
- Clean the leather to get rid of any dirt from the surface using a cotton pad or a brush.
- Place the design patch onto the leather. Make sure the leather surface is a bit damp.
- Use tape if needed to make sure the patch sits right on the leather.
- Put a piece of cotton cloth on the design and fully cover it from all sides.
- Start pressing the hot iron on the cotton cloth. Make sure to use pressure but take gaps in between to avoid any heat damage.
- Keep ironing it for around 5-8 minutes before you remove the patch from your leather accessory.
- Tada! Your leather jacket with the brand new stunning look is all set to make you stand out.
If you want to add some colors to the design, we recommend you use low cure ink or a low cure additive to go into regular plastisol. You can also use a soft painting brush. However, always do a patch test before you apply anything on the entire leather surface. It’s better if you have a spare leather piece, if not, you can just apply the coloring at any hidden spot of your leather accessory.
Once you’re done with the painting, let your jacket dry naturally overnight. To add an extra protective layer to avoid any damage to your jacket or color smudging, apply waterproofing spray.
You can use the same methods of painting on a leather bag.
How to Print On Leather Couch
A stunning couch can literally change the entire look of your living room. Believe it or not, but your furniture, curtains, and the overall color of the walls in your house play a major role in elevating your mood. You come home from a hectic day at work and looking at some gorgeous piece of furniture can literally brighten up your mood. We’re here to help you achieve that by painting. Here are a few steps to turn your faded couch into a stunning piece of furniture:
- Prep the area that you need to focus on for painting by wiping it with a damp cloth. If it’s possible, you should disassemble it to have a better view and access to the leather. Cover the areas that you don't want to paint with the painter’s tape.
- If your leather couch has a vegetable or chrome finishing, use a deglaze to get rid of the finishing. The paint will penetrate better this way.
- Use a cotton pad or a piece of cotton cloth to wipe off any dust or solid particles. The leather surface should be smooth.
- The next step is applying the paint onto the selected parts of the leather couch. You can use a brush, a household sponge, or a soft brush.
- Wait at least 2 hours for the paint to dry and if needed, you can apply another coat until you get the desired finish.
Your gorgeous leather couch with the stunning new paint is ready to bring a unique charm to your living room.